Thursday, February 14, 2008

Sesqui Semimillionaire


Blogging a little over one and a half years, it seems I recently passed the half-million mark in page views (small potatoes by the standards of the big boys; but to me, significant.) I discovered the joys and perversions and obsessions of site counters only after having been doing it for a while, but the arithmetic would seem correct. I find it amazing. As time has passed there's been an increasing sense that I'm blogging not just for myself; and whereas that could be considered overly self-important, I mean to say that it's gratifying and thrilling that people actually read my tappings from a laptop situated in a small town in a small corner of the planet. And find use for them! As I said on Dr A's radio show, I hadn't considered when I started, nor was even aware of the many unexpected and entirely pleasant ramifications of blogging. It's very cool.

I've gotten only a few insults, and more than a lot of really nice comments; even a little outside notice, once or twice. And I feel I've made actual friends (as opposed to entirely "virtual." They seem pretty real.) Thanks.

17 comments:

Patrick Bageant said...

Nobody likes "the big boys" anyway.

I'm glad you enjoy your blogging -- that makes it unanimous!

(and to quote the word verification filter on my comment tonight, "rhaah"!)

scalpel said...

Much respect.

Anonymous said...

Way to go.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Glad you're enjoying it. You are certainly creating material that is going to be valuable not just to those who already know about it, but to lots of others too. I am just astounded by the quality of your writing. Most people find writing well terribly hard, even if they have to do lots of it for a living. I imagine that as surgeon you will have needed to write factually accurate, but not necessarily terribly readable, reports. But I can't imagine that will have taught you how to write so eloquently - perhaps it's just a natural talent? If so - aren't you lucky! Perhaps you'll let us know - does it just flow or do you agonise over draft after draft after draft?

Jeffrey Parks MD FACS said...

Good job Doc.

gay CME guy said...

I'm one of your loyal fans, Sid. Keep on bloggin'.

Sid Schwab said...

elderly lady in training: (how does one train to become an elderly lady?) I almost never -- present post excepted -- just write it out and push the "publish" button. I usually go over my posts a few times, adding or subtracting, changing a word or phrase. Looking back on a few, I can't figure out why I did push that button... But I do take the time to find a little turn of phrase that pleases me, or a link that gives me, if no one else, a laugh.

rlbates said...

Thank you, Dr Sid, for writing. I'm glad you do.

Not Important said...

Ditto, doc.

Anonymous said...

Yes. Thank you. Not just for writing, but for being the person that you are, behind that writing; it shows. Much appreciated.

Justine Johnston Hemmestad said...

Dr. Schwab,
I told you that you had loyal readers! And you probably have new ones every day!

Anonymous said...

I stumbled across your blog recently, and I have been enjoying it immensely. I love that you seem to give a great deal of philosophically minded thought to the way you practice, and even view it with a kind of reverence. As a hopeful pre-med, this is half of what draws me to the field, and you show me someone who has not lost that over the years. I hope I can one day be as good and thoughtful a doctor as you.

jmb said...

Congratulations, that is not to be sneezed at. I have always enjoyed your blog and the reverence you display towards the profession you practised for so many years.

Lisa said...

You're on the top of my list of must-read medical blogs. And you introduced me to "other things amanzi", which I love.

Thanks for writing!

Bongi said...

well done.

and to partially answer your question with a question, aren't all girls elderly women in training?

lisa, thank you.

Margaret Polaneczky, MD (aka TBTAM) said...

I like to think I played a small part in racking up those page views for you...

Congrats!

ness said...

dear dr. sid,

you write so beautifully! my eyes just slide through the pages, your writing is so smooth and interesting.

thank you for sharing your gift with us readers.

Sampler

Moving this post to the head of the list, I present a recently expanded sampling of what this blog has been about. Occasional rant aside, i...