Sunday, December 03, 2006

I'll Be Right Back, After a Brief Commercial Message


I'm stealing a good idea from Andrew Sullivan, it having occurred to me that my book makes a wonderful gift -- and 'tis the season. Here's how you can give it to your most favorite person in the world (actually, I'm guessing you have dozens of favorite people in the world) with a personalized inscription:

If you email me with a name and any sort of inscription request you have (within broadly interpreted rules of decency), I'll personally write it and sign on a nice adhesive panel you can stick onto the front page of your book. And I'll even pay the postage (which, as far as I can tell, is about equal to the royalty I'd get on the book). (I say that because I haven't heard from the publisher in a while...) Include in the email your postal address, which I promise I'll trash as soon as I mail your inscription, and will use it for no other purpose. Email me at jschwab at gte dot net, and title it "book inscription" or something even more clever. My spam filter is incredibly stupid. In addition to the fact that blogger almost never notifies me when there's a new comment on a post, when I get notified of MY OWN comment, my email labels it as junk. I'm trying not to take it personally.

I think this is a very cool idea, and a generous offer. I expect it to catapult me to best-seller lists around the world, and to generate a call from Oprah. And I'm quite sure your friend(s) will be eternally grateful.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHA Shameless self-promotion.
I love it.
Lucky for you that your book is worth it or you'd be copping it!
If you are reading this post, it means you think that the surgeon writing this is either incredibly arrogant, incredibly broke (thus the shameless self promotion!) or has an incredibly good book.

My advice to you, if you are thinking that...
Read the book, you'll be glad you did.

Anonymous said...

Dr. Schwab -- Just wanted to let you know that I treated myself to your book as a Christmas present to myself. It just came today, and am looking forward to a good read.

Not a hard sell at all . . .

Catherine

Anonymous said...

Just remember the little people like us you used to know.

heh ;)

Anonymous said...

I got the book. I've read and thoroughly enjoyed it! Thanks for the continuing mentions.

Sampler

Moving this post to the head of the list, I present a recently expanded sampling of what this blog has been about. Occasional rant aside, i...